American Peony Society Statement
The American Peony Society and this Peony Garden have a deep relationship that began in the 1920s. Indeed, the APS was founded in Detroit, Michigan in 1903, and by 1923, Dr. W.E. Upjohn was the society’s Treasurer. In 1928 the Regents of the University of Michigan acknowledged the resolution by the Directors of the American Peony Society recognizing the then-new Peony Garden at the Nichols Arboretum. This acknowledgment underscored the intent to establish a major peony collection
The American Peony Society’s mission is to provide educational opportunities and support activities that improve the ‘Peony’. Through programs, publications, electronic media, events and cultivar registration, the society accomplishes this mission. First and foremost, the American Peony Society strives to bring people and the peony together.
Many resources on growing peonies, locating vendors, and opportunities to engage with others in appreciating peonies are available through the APS web site and are not fully repeated here.
At present there is no local chapter, as a Michigan or Great Lakes Peony Society. Persons interested in organizing such in conjunction with this garden and/or region are welcome to contact the Peony Garden staff, but this will need to be organized outside of university contexts and resources.
MBGNA, the APS, and the Ann Arbor Farm & Garden Club are proud to be cosponsoring our Centennial celebration: